Saturday, July 25, 2009

I Can Do It Myself - but It's Nice Having You Close.

Our soon-to-be-two-year-old granddaughter sat carefully on the edge of the swimming pool at a motel on the edge of Columbus. Wedged between her grandmother's legs. She wanted nothing to do with getting into the pool... despite the fact I was already in the 4' deep pool and encouraging her to join me.

Then, after about 20 minutes of swinging her legs around in the water, she was in the pool with me. I swung her around. I tossed her in the air. I encouraged her to put her face in the water and blow bubbles.

Ella watched some teenagers and was then determined to swim on her own. She would climb up out of the pool using the aluminum ladder, with the help of Grandpa, and then turn around to jump into the water like the teenagers.

"I can do it myself!" she insisted over and over again. I pointed out that she didn't know how to swim and that the water was 4' deep, but she was sure she didn't need me...she was ready to do exactly what she saw the teenagers doing.

Still, though, she let me hold her...swing her around...help her in and out of the pool.

As I held her I noticed something. She had her right arm around my neck, and she was gently patting my shoulder with her fingers. Four of them working in time. We were laughing and playing...but that hand was resting on my shoulder and she was patting me...almost as if the action was automatic. Without thought.

We spend a lot of time telling God we can do it on our own, don't we? Still, though, it is nice having God close...

I'm glad God refuses to let go of us...no matter how much we insist that we can do life on our own.

1 comment:

BJson said...

Oh, what a gift our God provides! (Your word pictures are appreciated.)